PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play – it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
PlayStation Studios is looking for a user researcher to join its internal user research department in San Mateo, CA. This is an exceptional opportunity to help our teams create world class games by providing reliable & actionable feedback on game experience via rigorous research with consumers.
We know that many people in UX come from backgrounds with different experiences that might not seem “standard”. We really value people who bring unique perspectives and add new knowledge to our team. So even if you feel that you don’t meet all the points listed below, we’d still love to hear from you!
While the role is based primarily in our San Mateo, CA, there is scope for remote working.
Role & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with senior members of the team to help create an overall research plan that effectively fits user feedback into the game development processes
- Plan and design research activities that support the development of the games
- Carry out research activities including moderating tests, observing users, analyzing findings, and writing reports
- Communicate findings with technical and non-technical members of the development team to foster a deep understanding of user behavior and needs
- Assist the research team in improving processes and methods
- Act as an ambassador, evangelizing user research internally and externally
- Coach/mentor more junior members of the team on research execution
Experience & Knowledge
- You will have a studied HCI, Interaction Design or a related subject area such as Cognitive Psychology to degree level including practical experience of moderating tests with users.
- A masters level degree or higher would be preferable.
- A passionate interest in video games
The successful candidate should demonstrate:
- Mastery of qualitative research methods
- Usability or UX testing experience, including creating study designs, moderating sessions, writing reports, and presenting findings that drive the improvement of product features
- Can effectively engage with development partners and maintain good working relationships
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; presenting information concisely and effectively to people at all levels of the organization.
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and be able to work well with cross-functional teams – e.g. game designers, producers, engineers and artists.
- Good organization skills with the ability to prioritize tasks effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- An excellent attention to detail and a strong commitment to quality, both in terms of your own work & in improving product quality through usability testing.
- A commitment to reliability, with a clear understanding & communication of the limitations of the research results.
- A good grounding in HCI and usability methods and excellent analytical ability; able to identify the key problems which need to be addressed.
- Ability to be open-minded and forward thinking and actively maintain an interest in the field; keeping up-to-date with developing tools, techniques and gaming testing methodologies.
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods using statistical analysis
- An understanding of a live service product & the role of user research to support continued development
- An understanding of the game development process & the role & limitations of usability testing at each development stage
- Experience mentoring more junior researchers
Please refer to our for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.