Job Title: Sr. Principal Data Scientist – Activision Blizzard Media
Location: San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
About Activision Blizzard
Our mission, to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment has never been more important. Through communities rooted in our video game franchises we enable hundreds of millions of people to experience joy, thrill and achievement. We enable social connections through the lens of fun, and we foster purpose and a sense of accomplishment through healthy competition. Like sport, but with greater accessibility, our players can find purpose and meaning through competitive gaming. Video games, unlike any other social or entertainment media, have the ability to break down the barriers that can inhibit tolerance and understanding. Celebrating differences is at the core of our culture and ensures we can create games for players of diverse backgrounds in the 190 countries our games are played.
As a member of the Fortune 500 and as a component company of the S&P 500, we have an extraordinary track record of delivering superior shareholder returns for over 30 years.
Our enduring franchises are some of the world’s most popular, including Call of Duty®, Crash Bandicoot™, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Hearthstone®, Diablo®, StarCraft®, Candy Crush™, Bubble Witch™, Pet Rescue™ and Farm Heroes™. Our sustained success has enabled the company to support corporate social responsibility initiatives that are directly tied to our franchises. As an example, our Call of Duty Endowment has helped find employment for over 80,000 veterans.
Learn more information about Activision Blizzard and how we connect and engage the world through epic entertainment on the company’s website, www.activisionblizzard.com.
Activision Blizzard Media (‘ABM’) is a rapidly growing business that has been crafted to connect advertisers with our 400MM+ global player base across Activision, Blizzard, and King. Are you interested in crafting powerful marketing solutions embraced by the world’s biggest marketers? At Activision Blizzard Media we are seeking a passionate and expert Data Scientist to push the boundaries of mobile games analytics and advertising product performance.
Your role within ABM
- Lead the data science driven initiatives/projects in building data products that power our advertising and monetization platform.
- Leverage understanding of metrics, testing methodology and business strategy to help define the roadmap of the company.
- Promote and use advanced modeling techniques (eg. reinforcement learning, time series forecasting, causal methods) to provide precise measurement of our player base.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to fellow data scientists by disseminating standard methodologies, publishing reusable tools/code and giving valuable feedback.
- Present and visualize results in a clear and concise way to senior management for decision making.
- Lead data-driven decision making by partnering with key multi-functional teams and leadership.
- Proactively identify and lead improvements to the execution of research and analytics within the Data Science team.
Skills To Create Thrills
- Prior experience in advertising data products.
- Experience in leading multiple high impact ad-initiatives.
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field – computer science, engineering, statistics, operations research, economics, etc.
- 6+ years of demonstrable experience in Analytics or Data Science both as an individual contributor and potentially leading teams
- Consistent record of leading and influencing projects using data and working with large scale data and infrastructure
- Be an authority expert and analysis lead for ad products.
- Can research, identify and disseminate standard methodologies across teams in terms of tools, systems and processes.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively about data problems with multi-functional audiences (e.g Product, Engineering, Business Strategy) in simple common language.
- You are methodological and practical; able to prioritize and assist with business requests i.e. analyzing A/B tests, strange player behavior, complex interaction dynamics, etc.
- Experience with a broad set of statistical and machine learning methods to solve and optimize critical business problems and metrics.
- Prior experience in the games industry
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a fast paced, rapidly changing and collaborative environment.
- The ability to write complex SQL queries and work effectively in any functional programming language for numerical analysis purposes.
- Ability to triage a problem clearly and come up with a solution.
- Strong alignment to data driven development and design, with an experimental and analytical approach to product improvement.
- Able to show good communication skills, and experience in visualizing and reporting takeaways.
Subject To Eligibility Requirements, The Company Offers Comprehensive Benefits Including
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ – we’ve got our employees covered.
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/.
In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $189,520.00 – $350,516.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
King is the game developer behind the world-famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top-grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid-core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players – and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We’re dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications need to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com