Who We Are
2K Games is headquartered in Novato, California and is a wholly owned label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO). Founded in 2005, 2K Games is a global video game company, publishing titles developed by some of the most influential game development studios in the world. Our studios responsible for developing 2K’s portfolio of world-class games across multiple platforms, include Visual Concepts, Firaxis, Hangar 13, CatDaddy, Cloud Chamber, 31st Union, and HB Studios. Our portfolio of titles is expanding due to our global strategic plan, building and acquiring exciting studios whose content continues to inspire all of us! 2K publishes titles in today’s most popular gaming genres, including sports, shooters, action, role-playing, strategy, casual, and family entertainment.
Located in Vancouver, BC, 2K Sports Lab is a small collective being formed within 2K Games that is driving the research and development of future sports interactive entertainment programs. Within this group, speculative work will be done on future sports games with an eye towards taking the magic of 2K’s publishing and development expertise and applying them to future opportunities.
Our team of engineers, marketers, artists, writers, data scientists, producers, thinkers and doers, are the professional publishing stewards of our growing library of critically-acclaimed franchises such as NBA 2K, 2K PGA, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, Lego Drive, BioShock, Borderlands, The Quarry, Mafia, Sid Meier’s Civilization, Marvel’s Midnight Suns, WWE 2K, and XCOM.
At 2K, we pride ourselves on creating an inclusive work environment, which means encouraging our teams to Come as You Are and do your best work! We encourage ALL applicants to explore our global positions, even if they don’t meet every requirement for the role. If you’re interested in the job and think you have what it takes to work at 2K, we encourage you to apply.
What We Need
Our studio is looking for an experienced Senior Design Director who has a high quality bar, a passion for replicating authentic sports behaviors and creating a balanced and sophisticated sports simulation. In this role, you will be both leading others and also working hands on. You will work closely with AI, Animation and Systems Engineers, Animators, Designers and Producers to help lay the foundation, then build and innovate upon it and polish world class gameplay for what will be the next massive sports franchise in our industry.
What You’ll Do
- Senior role as an Individual Contributor, Leader of the Gameplay team, and Mentor for the design team.
- Develop the vision for the Gameplay Experience in partnership with Executive Leadership.
- Design and direct designs for Gameplay Systems and Subsystems, Features, Architecture and Tools.
- Review designs from more junior design members of your team and the game.
- Work closely with Engineers, Animators, and Artists to execute on your vision.
- Evaluate progress and game quality and partner with Production to formulate and revise plans to drive execution.
- Mentor members of the design team.
- Directly manage members of the Gameplay Design team.
- Be aware of and evaluate competition in the Marketplace.
- Collaborate with the QA team to drive testing of the Gameplay Experience, and drive external testing as needed.
- Present the game publicly to press as we approach release.
- Be a source of knowledge and experience for other team members.
- Have and share opinions of the broader game experience.
- Manage and contribute to positive morale and a healthy team culture.
What Will Make You A Great Fit
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of related experience building and delivering high quality gameplay experiences.
- Shipped at least two AAA titles
- Experience writing designs and mentoring designers in the sports genre.
- Experience working with Animation SEs and Animators and is familiar with animation technology (Blend techniques, Masking, Procedural Animation etc.).
- Experience designing the intelligence that translates Sporting Behaviors into AI systems.
- Passion for making games.
- Experience using development tools for things like tuning, and debugging problems in the game.
- Has a willingness to share opinions freely, and an openness to hear other opinions to consider what is best for the game.
- Be a hands-on person leading the Gameplay team.
- Passionate about playing and/or watching sports.
- Passion for video games (not just ours)
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform their essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if you need reasonable accommodation.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com accounts.