PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Level Designer, Firewalk Studios
ABOUT FIREWALK STUDIOS
Firewalk Studios is dedicated to creating unforgettable multiplayer experiences that capture the joy of playing together. We believe in the power of multiplayer and want to delight players with worlds that spark imagination and forge connection through immersive gameplay, artistry, and heartfelt characters. In 2023, Firewalk joined PlayStation Studios and unveiled its debut project: Concord – an original sci-fi universe and PVP multiplayer FPS launching on PS5 and PC in 2024.
Creating worlds that ignite imagination and connection takes a collaborative team. Firewalk is building a world-class, next-generation game studio with a focus on a more sustainable approach to game development. For us, setting a high-quality bar, creating something extraordinary, and treating each other with trust and respect go hand-in-hand.
Our studio is looking for a Level Designer who is passionate about FPS games and bringing exceptional experiences to each of our players. Our Level Designer is responsible for creating immersive environmental gameplay and collaborating with each of our maps teams towards building great playing PvP maps.
Who you are
- You are excited about building spaces for competitive shooters. You enjoy analyzing your favorite PvP shooter maps and imagine how you could make them better.
- You are an effective communicator. You make abstract level design concepts intuitive to other disciplines.
- You have great instinct for the best way to balance Art and Level Design, so spaces simultaneously look great and play amazing.
- You have an impressive portfolio of PvP maps.
- You are knowledgeable about PvP Level Design tools and workflow.
- You find time to play video games and empathize with our players because you are a gamer at heart.
What your day might look like
- Blocking out a new PvP level, actively seeking feedback, and iterating on design changes
- Advocating for map goals as a map owner, communicating and interacting with other departments to bring our levels to ship quality.
- Participating in map reviews with other maps teams to collaborate on well-rounded solutions for gameplay, visuals, and performance.
- Playtesting the game and participating in feedback conversations with modes and gameplay designers.
- Prioritizing bugs and tasks while working with your lead and production to plan out sustainable deadlines.
- Proposing tool requests or updates to our Level Design documentation
- Demonstrable level design experience with modern PvP FPSes (Call of Duty, Overwatch, Valorant, etc.)
- Familiarity and understanding of maps development processes.
- Excellent communication skills and approachable attitude
- Experience working on live games.
- Unreal Engine experience.
- Environmental art experience.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Firewalk we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.