Ubisoft’s 21,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
About Ubisoft Mainz
The teams at Ubisoft Mainz are engineering some of Ubisoft’s biggest blockbusters. Operating from a historic city in the heart of Germany, the studio develops games pushing the limits of the genre like the acclaimed Anno 1800 and lends decades of expertise to AAA co-development projects like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege and the upcoming Beyond Good And Evil 2. More information at mainz.ubisoft.com.
Anno is a critically acclaimed and award-winning franchise, offering a rich city-building experience and providing players ample opportunity to create huge metropolises, plan efficient logistics networks, explore and settle new lands and dominate their opponents by diplomacy, trade or warfare.
As our Lead Narrative Designer, you will guide a talented team of narrative designers and writers to craft a rich, captivating, and meaningful game world that fully immerses our players. As a leader and mentor, you possess the talent and expertise to motivate, inspire, and support your team in delivering narrative content in line with our creative vision and of AAA quality.
Leading by example, you champion autonomy, trust, and innovation, while also fostering a culture that allows creative ideas to flourish.
To excel in this role, you should showcase a proven track record in narrative design, coupled with strong leadership skills, effective communication, and the ability to balance creativity with organization.
What you will do:
- Manage a team of writers and narrative designers
- Work closely with the game and creative director to align on narrative goals
- Collaborate with other departments on narrative and art content creation
- Mentor team members and lead by example
- Demonstrate an open mind towards ideas, feedback, and criticism and provide constructive feedback and criticism to your team and peers
- Work with the production team to help ensure the smooth running of the development process
- Help to build better, more efficient processes within the team
What you bring:
- Minimum five years of experience in the games industry, working in a narrative or design capacity
- Extensive understanding of the narrative design process, including storytelling narratology and dramaturgy, environmental storytelling, character creation, and writing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
- Solid knowledge of the game production pipeline
- Ability to learn and master new tools and techniques
- Familiarity with the Anno Franchise and strategy games is a plus
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience and skills
- A cover letter including your earliest starting date, expected salary and why you would like to join us
- A portfolio with examples of your previous work/projects is a plus
What we offer:
- Relocation support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance
- Ubisoft Blue Byte Academy: We offer multiple opportunities for you to discover your full potential and develop yourself in various areas. Guest speakers from the industry, workshops, and access to our training and development platform as well as to our in-house library
- Discounted and free games: Discount on employee game orders & free Ubisoft games on Ubisoft Connect
- Hybrid work model: Provides the flexibility to combine working from the studio and your home within Germany
- Monthly Mobility Budget: 80€ per month that can be used on bicycle lease, parking spot rental or public transportation ticket
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month
- Company Pension Scheme: We offer an attractive company pension scheme
- Gym subsidy: We contribute 50% (up to a maximum amount of 25€) towards the monthly cost of a gym membership of your choice
- English and German online lessons for free: Good to know: Our main language in the studio is English
- 26 days paid vacation per year
- Corporate Benefits web portal: Employee discount program for affiliated retailers, shops, and service providers
Ubisoft offers the same job opportunities to all, without any distinction of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, social status, disability, or age. Ubisoft ensures the development of an inclusive work environment which mirrors the diversity of our players’ community.
For further information, please check https://mainz.ubisoft.com/en/.