Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when accomplished people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at Respawn.com/studio .
Apex Legends is looking for a creative Game Designer to help shape the future of our multiplayer at our growing Madison Wisconsin location. You will design levels as well as prototype features from early blockouts through to release.
Reporting To a Design Director You Will
- Work with the dev team to develop the vision for maps and gameplay features.
- Create playtestable prototypes by modifying existing modes or creating new features reusing existing assets.
- Hold and communicate the vision for gameplay features to your collaborators in other departments.
- Align and collaborate with multiple disciplines on the dev team.
- Analyze existing maps and bring solutions to problem spaces through updates.
- Ensure a high-quality release by bug fixing, balancing, and creating a fun gameplay experience.
- Pitch ideas, give feedback, and work with the team to make Apex the best it can be!
- 5+ years professional experience as a designer on a multiplayer game.
- 3+ years experience as a level designer. Ideally, within the multiplayer shooter genre.
- You can block out maps quickly, gather feedback, and iterate rapidly.
- Good sense for game feel and map flow.
- Experience with level design theory and philosophies.
- Familiarity with the Battle Royale genre.
- The ability to self-assess risk, time, and scope to meet expected live service deliverables.
- Experience with content-driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity, GtkRadiant).
- Experience collaborating directly with Designers, Engineers, and Tech Artists.
- Experience with a proprietary game engine, tools, and assets