Creative Assembly is looking for an experienced Gameplay Animator to work on our highly successful, multi award winning Total War series at our headquarters based in Horsham, West Sussex.
The team is looking for a talented, creative animator, able to craft and implement believable human and creature animations for our fantasy titles. This is an excellent opportunity for you to push your imagination and skills on a multi award winning series that has sold millions of copies worldwide.
Reporting to the Lead Animator, you will be responsible for creating and implementing high quality animations, whether they are hand keyed and/or working with Mocap. Communication, approachability, and proactivity is vital for this role, as you will be expected to engage with other departments to push content and new concepts through to completion. A thorough understanding of game pipelines and gameplay mechanics is essential in this position.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role can be offered as hybrid or in-studio. This role cannot offer fully remote working. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
What you’ll be doing
As part of the animation team, you will have ownership of your tasks, from Maya to their implementation in game.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Ensure that the standard of your work is of the highest quality, judging it by its function and appearance in game, not in a playblast
- Creatively interpret and apply reference when no direct reference is available
- Communicate effectively and engage with other disciplines to achieve your vision
- Mentor less experienced team members.
A thorough understanding of game pipelines and gameplay mechanics is essential for this position.
What we are looking for
- Experience dealing with gameplay animations and knowledge of implementing animations in-game
- Understand animation pipelines from conceptual phase to deployment
- Excellent problem-solving skills with emphasis on proactivity
- Good hand-key animation skills for both human and creatures
- Ability to clearly communicate using a variety of methods to enable effective collaboration
- Ability to receive and apply critique on your work and complete tasks by the assigned due dates.
- Experience of development of a title from start to finish
- Interest in Total WarStrategy Games
- Motion Capture experience
- Motion Builder experience.
Note: Applications for this role must include a portfolio/showreel (or link to a portfolio/showreel). Applications that do not have this information will not be considered.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
We have studio locations across Horsham, UK in Newcastle, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria. These include several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day – toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: SEGA Europe Limited and our studios do not accept unsolicited candidate introductions from unauthorised third parties. For the avoidance of doubt, SEGA Europe is not liable for any fees, compensation or any other costs associated with the introduction of a candidate or recruitment services unless and until an agreement has been duly executed. Further details can be found here.